Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
it appears that i have a buyer. final deal: $2k shipped via 3 day select, a great deal for them and good for me, too. i bought the frame and wheelset for an awesome price, the monster wasn't that expensive, the avy was only $350 canadian (!), and nothing big has broken. when you divide the use i've gotten out of it in terms of days at whistler and post canyon by the whistler-average rental fee of $75 USD/day then all is peachy keen.

:)

and today (9/11) i received payment, so the ads have been edited -- it's sold for real.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
any reason _not_ to buy these wheels + tires for $1200 (local pickup)? the tires are 225/45ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1s, which get good ratings on tire rack, and $1200 is fully in line with what other STi takeoffs have been going for as far as i can tell.

there are two scratches (see the two closeup shots in the gallery) but otherwise they look good, and the tires have less than 3k on them and look the part.

http://toshiclark.com/wheels/

too bad the brakes don't come with 'em... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
jeez, life for a med school student is tough, eh? :D
it's a hard knock life, i tell ya. seriously, as long as you don't mind burying your head in books and going to class/lab/the hospital for long hours* then med school is quite the life. i enjoy it much more than my brief, 6 mo stint in the working world, for sure.

* or so i hear about 3rd year. 2nd year is still quite posh and i really have nothing to whine about.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
keith/thad/ari, you guys doing any riding lately? big plans for snow season?

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Toshi said:
I've been doing a bit of road riding lately. It's been tough since moving down to DC, however, since I don't know the routes around as well. It seems that there are a lot of good routes that start outside of the city but not having a car makes this difficult.

I am however, leaving this Friday to go to Provence for a week-long bike trip. I'm very excited about that. We're cycling around the south of France. Taking it pretty easy (~40-50mi/day) and doing a lot of wine drinking and eating along the way. :cool:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
Been riding a little. Actually went on the first HUCA road ride of the season this morning. I've been doing a lot of road this summer and I'm at a point that some coaching would do some good...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
woot, got those STi BBS rims mounted today.

next plans: raising it to stock height :dead: to fix suspension geometry issues in lieu of the true fix, coilovers (<--- waiting on restitution from trumpet thief dude for those); tint and hella supertones tomorrow; clutch next week.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the car has been raised. so it now has the goofy stock-wrx-style large fender gap in front (maybe 4-5 finger widths), with a reasonable gap in the rear (2 fingers). but it rides much nicer: no jumping about over gaps in the pavement on the freeway, and no scraping when i pull into my slightly elevated parking space above a crawl.

shot showing freshly applied tint, and if you squint really hard, the stock height suspension:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i actually rode a bike today! outside of commuting. imagine that: 30 miles roundtrip, from school with classmates + high school buddy to the columbia winery in woodinville. :thumb: good time, free wine, and just enough riding for my out of shape self. i think i'll start doing this more often, along with my million other hobbies i'm going to devote more time to...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dude. my car now officially rocks: fresh ACT street disc clutch + formerly externally/atmospherically vented wastegate now piped into the downpipe == no chattering when starting out, no slipping on boost, and a much smoother transition into boost.

my theory is that the external wastegate was causing the turbo to "lurch" and spool up too rapidly when it opened, as the backpressure suddenly went from that of the exhaust system (which is to say non-zero) to zero. now that it's plumbed to the downpipe (the first piece of the exhaust system downstream of the turbo) the opening of the wastegate does not cause such a change in backpressure and both the turbo and i hum along much more contentedly.

:)

next up: brake pads. currently at 30% but that won't last long with a full day of autox school and two autox comps left in the season, not to mention a possible track day on a short road course later in the month that i'm eyeing up...

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
So I'm back from the bike trip in France. We had beautiful weather almost the entire week. The only exception was on Friday when there was a ridiculous head-wind the entire day. So much so that even on decently steep downhills you had to pedal to even keep moving. Other than that it was a scenery and wine filled week. I'll post pictures as soon as I get around to organizing them. (May be tonight or tomorrow.)

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
BAH. Apparrently I stopped getting email updates again. (missed the last 2 pages of posts).

update on the last 3 wk or so:

Emily came back to town on vacation so I've been hanging out with her for about 3wks (yay not going to work). We did lots of road riding both in ME and here. Hung out in boothbay harbor (ME), near sunday river, and in boston. Went hiking in the Bigelows too (also ME, near rangeley lake). Pics to follow in a few hours I hope.

Haven't been doing much trail riding lately, but I hear Thad is leading the HUCA-HUMBA MTB rides, so I might start waking up early to ride.

anyway... I'll let the photo captions do the rest of the talking when I post them...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
woot. did autocross school today, and am going to autox competitions tomorrow and a week from tomorrow, with the second being the last event of the season. i learned that looking REALLY far ahead, like two turns ahead when in twisty, tight sections, smooths out turns greatly. also, when doing slalom sections, looking at the cone at the very end of the section (possibly half a dozen turns away) also somehow leads to a smoother back and forth rhythm and faster times. go figure.

perhaps these lessons can be generalized to bikes? they certainly apply to motorcycles...

oh yeah, my best time of the day was well within the range of the times posted by the instructors in their own cars :) (some of which were directly comparable to mine, like one Evo VIII).

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Photos from my vacation are posted (finally). Locations I bothered to take pics at were Boothbay Harbor and The Bigelow Mountains.

Road Riding in Boothbay was pretty awesome BTW, if you're into that sort of thing.

I noticed something interesting in this batch of photos too:

Images using sRGB space render color-true on web browsers, but images using adobeRGB1998 do not, even if the profile is embedded. (Ex: try downloading the image I posted and opening it in photoshop [don't convert it to a new color space by accident], then compare it to the one on this page) Do browsers really not support the adobeRGB gamut yet? (note: there is a significant possibility I'm just being insane and seeing things)

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
WTGPhoben said:
Images using sRGB space render color-true on web browsers, but images using adobeRGB1998 do not, even if the profile is embedded. (Ex: try downloading the image I posted and opening it in photoshop [don't convert it to a new color space by accident], then compare it to the one on this page) Do browsers really not support the adobeRGB gamut yet? (note: there is a significant possibility I'm just being insane and seeing things)
I'm not crazy (I determined this after considerable experimentation).

Check out the original:

then compare to the following examples:

As you can see, the original looks like the one that has the wrong color space imposed upon it (the one on the right) (all three images are from the exact same file). To get the examples, I created a sRGB document under the assumption that the browser would render it correctly. To create the left image I took the original file and converted it to sRGB before pasting it in. To create the right, I assigned the sRGB profile before pasting.

guess this means I have to convert all my images to sRGB before posting to the web.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
keith, you're right about AdobeRGB not displaying properly in anything except for photoshop. use Save for Web instead (or convert to sRGB manually as you figured out).

"Looking toward West Peak from Avery Peak as the sun gets low" is really nice btw.

ari, when did you see mike sha? i play in community orchestra with him these days. (sees later pics. oh, he went. awesome.) tad + bibs = :dead: ... heh. i like your new gallery layout, has the consistent corporate look eh :D

is mike talking to his shoe in this pic?

final note: i won my class (novice AM, as in the morning) today. and in doing so posted faster times than a Z06, a CTS-V, and an STi, to name the more colorful entries this morning. as you might guess from the standings it was raining: "the beauty of all wheel drive" indeed. :thumb:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
keith, you're right about AdobeRGB not displaying properly in anything except for photoshop. use Save for Web instead (or convert to sRGB manually as you figured out).

final note: i won my class (novice AM, as in the morning) today. and in doing so posted faster times than a Z06, a CTS-V, and an STi, to name the more colorful entries this morning. as you might guess from the standings it was raining: "the beauty of all wheel drive" indeed. :thumb:
Do not be fooled by saveForWeb. The image that doesn't render properly in the browser was saved with saveForWeb. It renders properly in photoshop and states that its profile is AdobeRGB(1998). I think it tries to keep the profile of the original instead of converting.

I appreciate the complements on the sun photo.

Well done with the driving. I knew you were a born racer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
huh, i stand corrected. i thought save for web converted. (i just hit F5 in my setup, which calls an action that converts to sRGB, does save for web, closes image.) and thanks. i'll still get beat up when i make the jump to my "real" class, street modified, but i think i might be competitive in the spring with some race rubber on those ugly rotas... :think: