Quantcast

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Toshi said:
ari, when did you see mike sha? i play in community orchestra with him these days. (sees later pics. oh, he went. awesome.)

is mike talking to his shoe in this pic?
Yeah - he came on the trip because he was friends with some of the other guys from the Lightweight Crew Team.

Hahaha... No, not his shoe. It was one of those audio tour things that they give you at touristy places. This one was at the Roman ruins.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi said:
huh, i stand corrected. i thought save for web converted. (i just hit F5 in my setup, which calls an action that converts to sRGB, does save for web, closes image.) and thanks. i'll still get beat up when i make the jump to my "real" class, street modified, but i think i might be competitive in the spring with some race rubber on those ugly rotas... :think:

another interesting fun fact. I can only see the difference in the images after my monitor warms up. When I first turn it on they all look the same. Yay 6yr old CRT!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the descent continues: i'm contemplating selling the dbr and the evil. i still don't have a rack for the car and it's way down on my list of priorities, my bikes are getting old (yet i still think they'd sell quickly at the right price with an honest description), and my mind is most definitely elsewhere these days. just don't feel like grinding out a long xc ride in the muck.

:think:

besides crowing that the prophecy has come true any thoughts on this, keith, ari, thad, others? since i'm contemplating it that probably means that i'm going to do it eh, so feel free to chime in with what you think i should ask for each. keep in mind that both are very scratched up.

dbr: 1996 diamondback racing axis frame: tange prestige, breezer dropouts. full 1996 era XTR including the dreaded rapid rise (which i like, having run on two of my bikes over the years), chris king hubs, headset, thomson post. 2001 Z1 with ECC.

evil: 2001? 2002? frame from the original batch. single speed, squeaky race face north shore ISIS cranks, evil bashring, RF bottom bracket, XT hubs, avid mechs, sun singletrack up front, 5 ride old Sun MTX on the rear. oversize bar/stem setup, lock ons on both.

in other news i have a loaner Legacy GT today, and it is a much more "grown up" car than my WRX. a lot quieter, an interior vastly more cushy and well done (no rattles! and leather), and generally mushy feeling, or "well damped" if you're kinder than i am. long gearing + auto, too.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
the descent continues: i'm contemplating selling the dbr and the evil. i still don't have a rack for the car and it's way down on my list of priorities, my bikes are getting old (yet i still think they'd sell quickly at the right price with an honest description), and my mind is most definitely elsewhere these days. just don't feel like grinding out a long xc ride in the muck.

:think:

besides crowing that the prophecy has come true any thoughts on this, keith, ari, thad, others? since i'm contemplating it that probably means that i'm going to do it eh, so feel free to chime in with what you think i should ask for each. keep in mind that both are very scratched up.

dbr: 1996 diamondback racing axis frame: tange prestige, breezer dropouts. full 1996 era XTR including the dreaded rapid rise (which i like, having run on two of my bikes over the years), chris king hubs, headset, thomson post. 2001 Z1 with ECC.

evil: 2001? 2002? frame from the original batch. single speed, squeaky race face north shore ISIS cranks, evil bashring, RF bottom bracket, XT hubs, avid mechs, sun singletrack up front, 5 ride old Sun MTX on the rear. oversize bar/stem setup, lock ons on both.

in other news i have a loaner Legacy GT today, and it is a much more "grown up" car than my WRX. a lot quieter, an interior vastly more cushy and well done (no rattles! and leather), and generally mushy feeling, or "well damped" if you're kinder than i am. long gearing + auto, too.
If der is rapid-rise, I don't think it can be older than 1998. Anyway, bike is old but tricked out. I'd say $400. It's probly worth a bit more, but it's so out of style that it's going to be hard to find a buyer. It might actually be more profitable to part out. Sell cranks, post, headset, derailleurs, and wheels and you probly have more than $400 easy.

I can't speak for the evil other than to say most of the people that are buying that sort of ride probably don't care if its scratched up, not to mention that those sort of bikes are a hot commodity, so you can probably get more than you think.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
I have a pair of Salomon Streetacer 10 Pilot 175s (with bindings). I bought them last year and used three weekends. They're great skis but I want different ones (Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous 178s). Anyone want to buy them? (MSRP was $1100. I paid around $700)

I'll post pics if anyone is even remotely interested

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
WTGPhoben said:
I have a pair of Salomon Streetacer 10 Pilot 175s (with bindings). I bought them last year and used three weekends. They're great skis but I want different ones (Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous 178s). Anyone want to buy them? (MSRP was $1100. I paid around $700)

I'll post pics if anyone is even remotely interested
You could put them on the slopemonkey classifieds too... :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks for the appraisal on the bikes, keith. i think i'll try to dump them complete...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
between the evil and the dbr i have one standard/ghetto rigid fork, one kona dj disc-tab rigid fork, and one 2001 Z1. i think i'll probably sell the dbr with the cheap rigid ($300?) and the evil with both forks thrown in ($400?).

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
on a slightly different note:

My car managed to keep up with a WRX at full throttle yesterday.

I've forgotten how much then weigh and how many whp they have, but I'd have guessed I was outgunned. A nice suprise.

p6

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
Huh.

My car weighs about 3100, and has (apparently) somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 whp.

I'd recently done a head job on the thing, and had it portmatched while they were in there... but between that and the new exhaust, I guess there's been some improvement.

Now I'm starting to suspect my BPV is leaking... It's pretty old, and I'm running about double the stock boost, so I wouldn't be suprised if it's bleeding some boost at full open throttle.

I guess it'll be time for a new one of those then.

p6

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i won the novice AM class at the autocross this morning... two weeks in a row, and it wasn't raining this time. :D the all-season tires i used this morning definitely are more slippery than the summer tires i was on last weekend, but they got the job done.

next projects: i'm having the whole stereo system that i spent so much time agonizing over not to mention the $$ pulled this upcoming friday. why? it simply isn't audible on the freeway over all the road noise. since the doors, rear seat, and trunk are already dynamatted i'm not going to throw money down that hole, but instead am going to cut my losses, ebay all that equipment (anyone want a pioneer DEX-P9 + DEQ-P9? :oink: ) and then be hard core and go without any stereo at all.

then after that comes coilovers, polyurethane control arm bushings to replace the (illegal) control arm mount relocator bracket currently on the car, installation of the big 24-26mm adjustable front swaybar i picked up used today at the track, and then cheap/ugly/WIDE (8.5" wide? 9"?) 17"s wrapped with 275ish-width R compound meats for the spring...

:drool:

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
Man, I gotta get me a job. Money would get my mods done much faster.

I'm going to probably end up doing brakes on my car first- I think I'll have to replace the rotors anyway, so might as well go bigger... and if I've got the loot, I'll run goodridge lines while I'm in there.

Besides that, it'll be a diverter valve (audi's don't like BOV's for some reason....)

and

wait for it...

...snow tires!

Say goodbye to all trace of good handling.

-sigh-

p6

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heh, it took 1:40 from the posting of the ad to receiving payment for the evil. $500 shipped all said and done w/the rigid fork. the interwebbe is a great tool for people like me who buy and sell stuff at a great rate...

:thumb:

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
In biking-related news, I went on a training ride with DC Velo today. A lot of pretty hard-core people there. The pace of the group was about 4-5mph faster than I'm used to riding so it was pretty quick. I managed to keep up with the group for about the first 25 miles (of a 50 mile ride). Then I got completely dropped out of the back of the peleton.

The fun part about this was that then I was by myself somewhere in Maryland with no real idea of how to get back to DC. Thanks, however, to a friendly lady in a parking lot at a gardening store I managed to find my way back without any mishaps.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
awesome. i'm glad you're still riding at least, ari. :D (in my defense i did commute 4 miles x 2 to school today, and tried to push it on the way back, which probably meant i averaged 14 mph instead of 10 ;) )

two pics of my old, toasted 3 puck clutch:

it's hard to see but in the second the pressure plate has fine, radial cracks. :dead: i suppose that's what i get for buying a car from a drag racer...

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
awesome. i'm glad you're still riding at least, ari. :D (in my defense i did commute 4 miles x 2 to school today, and tried to push it on the way back, which probably meant i averaged 14 mph instead of 10 ;) )
I made up for you by riding Long-Res +Prospect Hill with HUCA this morning starting bright and early at 6:45

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
i won the novice AM class at the autocross this morning... two weeks in a row, and it wasn't raining this time. :D the all-season tires i used this morning definitely are more slippery than the summer tires i was on last weekend, but they got the job done.

next projects: i'm having the whole stereo system that i spent so much time agonizing over not to mention the $$ pulled this upcoming friday. why? it simply isn't audible on the freeway over all the road noise. since the doors, rear seat, and trunk are already dynamatted i'm not going to throw money down that hole, but instead am going to cut my losses, ebay all that equipment (anyone want a pioneer DEX-P9 + DEQ-P9? :oink: ) and then be hard core and go without any stereo at all.

then after that comes coilovers, polyurethane control arm bushings to replace the (illegal) control arm mount relocator bracket currently on the car, installation of the big 24-26mm adjustable front swaybar i picked up used today at the track, and then cheap/ugly/WIDE (8.5" wide? 9"?) 17"s wrapped with 275ish-width R compound meats for the spring...

:drool:

:eek: holy crap 275???? do those fit on the imprezas???

i think you´ll need at least a 9in wheel to fit 275... (just talking from the back of my head, dont quote me)...
from the space i recall on imprezas, i really doubt 17x9 on 275 can fit in there...

what kinda clutch are you getting now???

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
:eek: holy crap 275???? do those fit on the imprezas???

i think you´ll need at least a 9in wheel to fit 275... (just talking from the back of my head, dont quote me)...
from the space i recall on imprezas, i really doubt 17x9 on 275 can fit in there...

what kinda clutch are you getting now???
i replaced the 3 puck with an ACT Street Disc. it's holding up great so far: a lot more pedal effort but solid engagement (and no chatter!) and no slip.

here's a STi with 265s: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839588
and here's another with 275s: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7405167&mode=linear#post7405167

looks funny, doesn't it? :D but would be super grippy... i think i'll go with Toyo RA1 tires so that i can get a whole season out of them (vs. half :( with hoosiers or Kumho V710 meats)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in reality, next season i'll probably "just" run something like a 17x8" (since they're available used, 9" and 10" are much rarer...) with 245 or 255 section tires.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
nope. i swapped the wheels myself, but the exhaust/clutch/stereo has all been left to the pros.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
i replaced the 3 puck with an ACT Street Disc. it's holding up great so far: a lot more pedal effort but solid engagement (and no chatter!) and no slip.

here's a STi with 265s: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839588
and here's another with 275s: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7405167&mode=linear#post7405167

looks funny, doesn't it? :D but would be super grippy... i think i'll go with Toyo RA1 tires so that i can get a whole season out of them (vs. half :( with hoosiers or Kumho V710 meats)

hahahaha, lol, those tires on that impreza look like the ones on a muscle car....

255 is a fat, agressive, yet a sane width for them...

but you know, i was kinda thinking on that impreza with 275.... that car probably have a crapload of sidewall deflection (or whatever you call in english when a wheel wallows horizontally, while the contact patch stays put, due to sheer stress)...
that car must feel very squishy thru tight turns...

kumhos are pretty popular around here in the autox, the tarmac rallies and road racing... best price/grip/longevity in the market. we dont get hoosiers though (they are pretty pricey).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
[cut 'n pasted straight from xanga]

remember when i had my C trumpet and all that other junk stolen from my Pathfinder this summer? i just called the prosecutor's office, and it turns out that he was sentenced to 50 months in prison.

of course, this also means that i probably won't see a penny of restitution until after he gets out of jail, but at least one criminal heroin addict is off the streets of seattle.

also, i'm backing off from my earlier vow to remove and sell off all my car stereo gear. instead i'm just going to pull and sell the head unit and the subwoofer, and run the system directly off the iPod. yep, blank space in dash + a cable running directly from the iPod to the amplifier +/- impedence matching.

lessons learned from the stereo experience:

a) don't buy nice stereo components for loud cars
b) rear fill is nice if you're used to it (on this note i'm having the stock, paper rear door speakers hooked back up after running fronts only with the current setup)
c) don't buy subs for cars you intend to autocross, as you'll just have to pull it out every weekend and curse the trouble it causes

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
in reality, next season i'll probably "just" run something like a 17x8" (since they're available used, 9" and 10" are much rarer...) with 245 or 255 section tires.
and now, after seeing this thread ( http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392054 ) it looks like i'd be able to run 245/45/16 on the current 16x7" slipstreams that i have. that'd most definitely be the most economical option. i could just throw some Hankook Z212 street tires (like the falken azenis but cheap! $100/tire) in that size on them, and then run street tire classes with a SM time index. yeah, i think i'll do this unless someone snaps up the rotas immediately.

:thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my 800 MHz single G4 is still chugging along quite nicely with 1.5 GB of RAM to take the load off the slow (but quiet!) disks. did i mention that i also replaced the fans with special low rpm quiet ones? being anal about such distractions + being a musician means i want SILENCE from my computer :D , and aren't G5s like portable windtunnels?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what other forums should i post this ad in? (already did here, nasioc)

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1796119#post1796119

(my stereo system is now running directly off my iPod, no head unit or DSP needed :thumb: . iPod -> RCA y splitter, with one side going to JL 300/4 set to two channels, running the front tweeters off 2 channels, front and back mids off the other two channels, the other side going to a JL e2125 amp bridged to power a single 10" JL 10w3v2 sub.)

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
my 800 MHz single G4 is still chugging along quite nicely with 1.5 GB of RAM to take the load off the slow (but quiet!) disks. did i mention that i also replaced the fans with special low rpm quiet ones? being anal about such distractions + being a musician means i want SILENCE from my computer :D , and aren't G5s like portable windtunnels?
nope. my dual 1.8 G5 is whisper quiet. much quieter than my dual 867 G4. microprocessor on the MB tracks about 20 temp sensors and spins up whatever of 9 fans are necessary at any given time. if you look through the grating you can see the processor turbines spinning veeerrrryyy slowly. take off the side door and the air dam while it's on and the big red light comes on and you get the jet engine. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, but if you actually used that computer for productive work wouldn't the fans spin up? :oink: hehe

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
ah, but if you actually used that computer for productive work wouldn't the fans spin up? :oink: hehe
This machine's actually pushed pretty hard. Processors usually hover around 80% and I've been maxed out on RAM for the last week. Putting in an order for another 2GB...