Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
after coming back from a few days of driving a honda CR-V around the throttle response on my WRX doesn't feel bad at all. the clutch (on my car, not the cr-v) was amazingly heavy, tho. either that, or my left leg suffered serious atrophy secondary to too many lungfuls of boston-area haze. sorry, guys, didn't have any time outside of the wedding festivities and was stuck in carlisle for most of the time.

many pics to come tomorrow

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
many pics to come tomorrow
http://tinyurl.com/md98t
http://tinyurl.com/mrsnd
http://tinyurl.com/prbe4

some highlights of this, my first professional wedding gig (albeit for friends), since there are a TON of photos, especially if you don't know the people as i do :)

the bride:

the groom and his older brother:

a cute kid x 2 (not theirs!):

everyone and their mom has a digital camera now. good thing the secret is in the lighting (i shot just about everything with a softbox), angles, and postprocessing :)

the groom's mother, pleased as punch:

the groom with nice natural "hair lighting"

tossing the bouquet -- note how all the "old girls", my college friends, are well back. no one wants to be the next to get hitched!

my old orchestra conductor and music theory/composition prof:

general rowdiness, all the college crowd:

a wannabe cover shot for the band playing at the reception (the keyboardist was the groom's brother):

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i called 911 tonight: saw a drunk bicyclist bite it at 20ish mph on a road being resurfaced. she was unresponsive albeit breathing for a solid three minutes or so. don't drink too much, kiddies...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
w00t. in fairbanks since last night. gonna see mt. mckinley tomorrow!

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Toshi said:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031564

:drool:

also, i've decided that linear throttle response is a good thing. as in the next high powered car that i own (however many years that may be away :) ) will probably be naturally aspirated.
Take it for what it's worth from an old guy: Back in the day, I learned to drive stick in a Porsche 912 (4 banger). The rule was watch the tach and don't upshift below 3,000 rpm. With the turbo VWs and Subarus, I've heard it is more like 4 or 5K rpm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
HarryCallahan said:
Take it for what it's worth from an old guy: Back in the day, I learned to drive stick in a Porsche 912 (4 banger). The rule was watch the tach and don't upshift below 3,000 rpm. With the turbo VWs and Subarus, I've heard it is more like 4 or 5K rpm.
yeah, you can see that the torque really jumps up at 4k or so (dyno chart here).

i've "solved" the problem paradoxically by lowering the revs below 4k, by pulling out of spirited corners in 3rd gear instead of 2nd. in 1st and 2nd the car is simply too violent when it comes on boost for most roads. it's a lot easier to be smooth in 3rd even if it comes at a slight expense in pure speed -- it feels more satisfying to have a long, smoothly ramping up pull from 3k to redline in 3rd vs. two violent, short pulls in 2nd and then 3rd.

but this is all a moot point, as my car is in storage some 2750ish miles away from me for the next 6 weeks. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://tinyurl.com/qqgmf

i'm going to post a general-interest thread in the lounge on this, but here i'll share more technical details and whining on my july 4 trip to Denali.

the light was very poor for the most part, as were shooting conditions: private cars are not allowed more than 15 miles into the park, while the access road stretches at least 90+. instead it is serviced by these buses:

the buses were quite full -- i arrived there at 6:15 am after leaving fairbanks at 4, and was just able to snag the last ticket for the 7:30 bus when the ticket counter opened at 7. who were the buses full of, you ask? old people. with cameras. annoying, they were, especially when they made the bus stop repeatedly on sighting of sheep or other pedestrian beasts literally a mile away across a valley. picture this: "look at those white dots!" followed by frenetic snappings-away on shutter buttons...

in addition to that annoyance, the landscape itself wasn't as dramatic in most places as i might have expected of mighty alaska. there were a few nice vistas, however, and here's an example at ISO 200, 12 mm, f/13, 1/80. note that i really have to clean my sensor :dead: -- the dirt shows up especially in the stopped-down landscapes and the later macros...

yes, macros: i decided that making my own light and concentrating on miniscule bundles of color would save the day, and ended up snapping a ton of macro shots with the ST-E2 on camera and the 420EX w/softbox held with my other hand at a 45 degree angle. here's a sample (with the sigma 180 macro) at ISO 400, f/22, 1/250

finally, after my two batteries on the big camera were used up and my legs were spent after a two hour hike up and down a small mountain, we ran across a bear and her cub. this bear obliged by moseying on by the bus, and i snapped away vigorously with my old S30, which still had some juice in it:

i'll make another post linking to the lounge thread once that's up. it'll have a different selection of photos + text which i'll mirror on my xanga (or just look at all of them in the gallery link atop this post if you don't like words and such :D)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
alaska has riverboats! who would have guessed: they actually were used to haul junk about on the alaskan rivers commercially until 1960 or so. the only junk on the one i took a ride on today is the bags of souvenirs old people brought with 'em...

http://tinyurl.com/kceya

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
So what camera and lenses do you use? Kinda curious.

I do agree with you about the lighting being key though.

Man...I need to start a "ride pics thread"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i shoot a canon 20D with the following lenses and supporting equipment:

canon 420ex flash
a little softbox that velcros to the sides of the 420, was only $15 or so
canon st-e2 for off-camera flash work
remote shutter release cable, the cheap one without the timer
bogen/manfrotto 3001? 3021? can't remember tripod

sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 hsm
canon 28mm f/1.8 usm
canon 50mm f/1.4 usm
canon 135mm f/2.0L usm
sigma 180mm f/3.5 hsm macro

polarizers for the 28, 50, 135, 180. none for the 12-24 as none fit it. no protective filters or anything like that -- i paid for good glass and wish to shoot with it, not through some $30 piece of glass-of-unknown-quality. i shoot at 12mm and 135mm predominantly unless i know i'll be shooting across a table (50mm) or for macro work (180 + stopping down + flash).

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Toshi said:
i shoot a canon 20D with the following lenses and junk:

canon 420ex flash
a little softbox that velcros to the sides of the 420, was only $15 or so
canon st-e2 for off-camera flash work
remote shutter release cable, the cheap one without the timer
bogen/manfrotto 3001? 3021? can't remember tripod

sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 hsm
canon 28mm f/1.8 usm
canon 50mm f/1.4 usm
canon 135mm f/2.0L usm
sigma 180mm f/3.5 hsm macro

polarizers for the 28, 50, 135, 180. none for the 12-24 as none fit it. no protective filters or anything like that -- i paid for good glass and wish to shoot with it, not through some $30 piece of glass-of-unknown-quality. i shoot at 12mm and 135mm predominantly unless i know i'll be shooting across a table (50mm) or for macro work (180 + stopping down + flash).

Uh......Holy freakin' crap, Quite the collection you got there

I'm still working on one of these bad boys

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good choice. focusing beyond infinity as in the b&h pic is not recommended :D . seriously, with the 15mm fisheye (which i used to use) and the 12-24 autofocus is nearly useless and unnecessary: just set it to 1 or 2m as appropriate and stop down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sweet. pls post up your impressions on sharpness near or at wide open when you get a chance.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've got a pic up in the 'cold beer/new lens' thread in the Beer/Food forum. that was wide open, ISO 400 or 800? the exif data may still be in the jpg.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and, even further back (digging through old screenshots, if you can't tell), my last problem set :(

and an earlier problem set, same course:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and further back yet, from back when i used to actually ride :D

(photo by ari)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and two last ones, one showing me (erroneously!) to be a professor! and another showing me logged into a whole bunch of the fas machines, apparently doing some computation-heavy calculation in parallel:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just a few of the threads i bumped today, going through all of the old songs of the day :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey toshi, thanks for that. it was interesting to see the perspective from someone technically proficient in music, rather than just seeing the emotional impact of how the music affects one. i know squat about music theory, so i have zero basis for talking about that sorta stuff.

i do know that polvo made up their own tunings. ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
15 miles. 2700 vertical feet. 7h 40m on the trail, including nearly an hour where i was lost and bushwhacking. 3 bloody toenails. and all so that i could take some pictures of rocks:

granite tors trail

in the gallery note the time-taken captions on the shots that have my face in 'em. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your old screenshots inspired me to dig through my backup archives and I ran across this pictures from my hacking days... koan.happyhacker.org was a wargames machine that people were challanged to break into. I spent a couple hours one afternoon with good results :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
arctic circle

sorry for the somewhat poor exposure. this is with a ton of tweaking to the raw file in conversion, too.

who needs to see brakelights? not the drivers behind me or anyone else on the dalton highway, that's for sure