Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So I’m not super pleased with my powder skis, 190 cm Moment Bibby if you haven’t been following along. 118 mm underfoot. This review is of one generation older, but the shape seems similar but not the exact dimensions:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2013-2014-moment-bibby-pro

I guess I should be more specific: The Bibbys are fantastic in deep powder. They float well, I can muscle them around, they’re fun.

The problem is that even on a 19”-over-24 hours day like yesterday the time I’m actually in deep powder is maybe 10% of my day, and for the rest of the day I’d rather be on something more like my Mantras.

I don’t feel comfortable at speed on the Bibbys, I have to work hard to get them to carve a turn instead of smearing, and they don’t feel settled in a straight line in general. I really was being left behind on all the transition sections by Shared Skittles yesterday because I wasn’t comfortable going faster than I was.

Thoughts? @Nick @SkaredShtles @Full Trucker ? I guess I could keep them around for future cat/heli skiing shenanigans, but otherwise I am leaning towards SS’s “one 106ish mm ski to rule them all” philosophy for the conditions we actually get here.
I got nothin', man. Other than:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FCA introduces Compass and Renegade PHEVs.

https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/03/jeep-compass-renegade-plug-in-hybrids-reveal-eawd-43999

While these particular platforms are not of interest to me their powertrains are.

They seem to have a gas engine and standard transmission hooked to the front axle, and an independent electric setup for the rear axle, battery in transmission tunnel. No propshaft or other connection between axles.

So in its 31 mile EV range it’s a RWD vehicle. AWD via software coordination.

An interesting approach, and one that might see life in a PacHy in the future, albeit maybe with the front still via the 2 motor Toyota/TRW design.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
FCA introduces Compass and Renegade PHEVs.

https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/03/jeep-compass-renegade-plug-in-hybrids-reveal-eawd-43999

While these particular platforms are not of interest to me their powertrains are.

They seem to have a gas engine and standard transmission hooked to the front axle, and an independent electric setup for the rear axle, battery in transmission tunnel. No propshaft or other connection between axles.

So in its 31 mile EV range it’s a RWD vehicle. AWD via software coordination.

An interesting approach, and one that might see life in a PacHy in the future, albeit maybe with the front still via the 2 motor Toyota/TRW design.
The Polestar's EV's and roadster hybrid that are upcoming look pretty snazzy. You could see if your Volvo sales guy will do you a deal :D

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
*le sad*

As well as its working range of 120 miles, the i3S has a top speed of 100 mph and will accelerate from 0-62 mph in 7.7 seconds. With over 360 pounds more to pull about, the 2,998-pound Mini EV will be slower, with less range, especially if used in cold conditions.
Congratulations to BMW for building an electric car that I might have been interested in 6 years ago. :rolleyes:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Agreed that that isn’t an attractive package in this day and age. Even with cute 4 spoke wheels. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Got a new printer. Didn’t realize how giant it was but as it does 13 x 19” I could have figured that out. 8 different ink colors!

Cats took it over as a perch immediately, of course.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
https://electrek.co/2019/03/06/tesla-supercharger-v3-kw-capacity-efficiency/

V3 Supercharger unveiled.

V2: 120 kW peak. Power sharing between stalls so lower peaks if someone charging next to you. Air cooled cables.

V3: 250 kW. Water cooled. No power sharing. 250 only possible on long range Model 3 from what I can gather, pending a software update. V2 installations will get a bump to 145 kW but won’t get redone as V3 per this announcement, so for new sites instead.

What does 250 kW look like?

On Tesla’s most efficient vehicles, like the Long Range Model 3, the company says that the new Supercharger V3 can add up to 75 miles of range in 5 minutes and charge at a peak rage of 1,000 miles per hour of range.
My take is that this compares favorably to the plans for Electrify America. They plan 150 kW CCS stations on highways with a future upgrade path to 350 kW. Instead Tesla already has 120 kW Superchargers all over the place and will roll out 250 kW ones going forward. Bird in hand, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Spotted in my neighborhood this morning on the school run over about 5 minutes:

3 Model 3s (including mine) at a 4 way stop. The 4th location wasn’t occupied.

1 Model X driving by.

1 other Model 3 going the same way as me after visiting the school bus stop.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/03/teslas-self-driving-strategy-is-outdated-and-possibly-dangerous/

In January 2016, Musk predicted that Tesla cars would be able to drive autonomously coast to coast "in ~2 years.

Needless to say, this hasn't happened. And after more than two years of peddling unrealistic visions of Autopilot's future, Tesla's Autopilot page has finally been updated to reflect that reality.

The page's headline has changed from "Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Cars" to "Future of Driving." A sentence about Tesla's ride-sharing network has been deleted. The "Full Self-Driving" section now includes a disclaimer that "future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience."

In other words, despite Musk's bluster over the years, Autopilot is still just a driver-assistance system. And it will continue to be just a driver-assistance system for some time to come.
Others share my skepticism. I think he’s going to deliver stop line, red light, and rudimentary intersection handling ability at the end of this year with the same level 2 caveat that it might crap out and require intervention immediately at any time and claim Mission Accomplished.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I test drove two vehicles at CarMax today because why not? (And because it scratches my “what if?” itch.) Both were Lexus LXs, so like my old Land Cruiser but plus a gen and one and two refreshes, respectively.

2014 Lexus LX 570

This one felt beat. Nanny wasn’t kind to it up at the Aspen house, perhaps? Scratches and scuffs on interior, needed an alignment, smelled of either old smoke or old thick perfume.

Drove as I remember my old 100 Series, for better or worse. Slow steering ratio, long hood, very smooth and quiet. Old style dashboard wasn’t endearing—more vertical and visually imposing than modern designs.

Verdict: Meh, particularly for this example.

2016 Lexus LX 570

Only glimpsed its Alien maw once so wasn’t scarred. New interior is worlds nicer than the old in style and layout. Lower cowl height with stuck on screen is a good overall compromise. Mousy thing was annoying and the system’s response laggy. Millions of buttons and knobs on center console. Nice open pore wood textures but the wood on the steering wheel didn’t wear well at all.

8 speed mated to 5.7L is a lovely, smooth drivetrain. Verified cruise is stop and go (Full Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control in ToyoLexus lingo). I didn’t play with the stereo but I’m sure the Mark Levinson is superb.

Verdict: the 2016+ LX is what I wanted my Land Cruiser to be, for better or worse. But is that what I want? I do want something bigger than my 3 ultimately and it would make for a great ski day vehicle as did my Land Cruiser. Saner 3 row AWD alternatives abound but are just so… normal.

I still will likely plow on with my Tesla upgrade path plans but was nice to knock these off my list—recall that I do enjoy doing this, after all.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Verdict: the 2016+ LX is what I wanted my Land Cruiser to be, for better or worse. But is that what I want? I do want something bigger than my 3 ultimately and it would make for a great ski day vehicle as did my Land Cruiser. Saner 3 row AWD alternatives abound but are just so… normal.
My wife is the voice of reason and reminded me just now that an LX would have the same drawbacks as the Land Cruiser had:

- if kid car seats 3 wide in the second row (barring funny foldable designs like the IMMI GO) then 3rd row access is very difficult, as in awkwardly climbing into the high rear of the vehicle
- 3rd row on Land Cruiser and its variants is pretty useless, particularly with regard to legroom. This is exacerbated when one puts a car seat back there

So maybe Tesla will surprise me and throw in a useful magic 3rd row on the Model Y, like with built in jump seats a la the discontinued Model S option . Or maybe we will try our luck next season as a family on ski trips with Nokians (and auto socks) on the FWD PacHy. Or maybe I’ll go conventional once more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Or maybe we will try our luck next season as a family on ski trips with Nokians (and auto socks) on the FWD PacHy. Or maybe I’ll go conventional once more.
The 3 row SUV market is depressing. The X doesn’t speak to me, yes, but the Ascent and its ilk really don’t. Their 3rd rows are also way less useful than those of a minivan, even if they are better than that of the Land Cruiser. Access is also worse, mildly tempered by fancy tilt-with-car-seat tricks.

So I have emerged from that thankfully none too deep rabbit hole and instead will order some AutoSocks for the (FWD) PacHy’s Nokians for next ski season. I suppose if I would drive an AWD Sienna that’d solve it, too, but y tho?

(Recall that I got away with the 2 row Volvo then Tesla for this ski season since the wife was first pregnant then staying at home with Thing 3. The whole brood will be traveling come next winter—ski resort of choice has child care starting at 6 months and the wife wants to ski with me once more.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
AWD Ford Transit, problem solved.
I totally did daydream a minute when I saw that new option. Even has adaptive cruise!

I’d take my silly thought more seriously had we not had the Transit as a rental on last year’s Oregon trip to see my parents. The interior on those is horrid, if you don’t recall or haven’t experienced yourself.

Huge benches bolted solidly to floor, super high floor, no room behind last bench, economy class seat pitch/leg room. If only someone could make a civilized modern slightly more than mini van. Like that Merc. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Eh, there's not much to it. Quigley will convert an NV3500 for ya, and you can buy ready-made Sprinter and Transit 4x4s now, too. Practically they would suck for the factors I mentioned re the Transit a few posts up, but if you're in Utah and feel compelled to pop out 6 crotchfruit then they're the ticket for winter activities.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I’ve posted about them before but this is a nice video. So much CNC work. It’s hard to see how they’re going to survive with such a labor intensive build but I hope that they do because that thing is awesome.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Concept EQV unveiled:

https://insideevs.com/mercedes-benz-eqv-long-range-concept-mpv/ among other coverage. 100 kWh pack (!) yielding 249 miles of range. 201 hp, FWD. Unspecified quick charging capability is present, presumably CCS ~150 kW or so given the time quoted.

I, or rather my wife, could definitely dig it as a non-Model X replacement for the PacHy.

that looks nice and all . . . i (and I think the fam in general) really miss our r350. that thing was awesome. i wish instead of canning it they'd updated it. oh well . . .

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A potential plan given the actual announcement: https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-tesla-stores-and-pricing?utm_cam

As a result of keeping significantly more stores open, Tesla will need to raise vehicle prices by about 3% on average worldwide. In other words, we will only close about half as many stores, but the cost savings are therefore only about half.

Potential Tesla owners will have a week to place their order before prices rise, so current prices are valid until March 18th. There will be no price increase to the $35,000 Model 3. The price increases will only apply to the more expensive variants of Model 3, as well as Model S and X.
Although this could well backfire on me if they drop prices again later in the year in yet another capricious move, this invites the question of whether I should move quicker than planned on my 3 LR AWD -> 3 Performance idea.

Relevant factoids:

- DCU is still offering 3.99%, which is equal to my current rate
- I apparently can get a Tesla trade-in appraisal online at any time and have time later this week to get CarMax's appraisal, too
- if any available could potentially angle for an ex-demo vehicle for an additional discount
- don't have enough going on in my life at the moment, apparently
- I can work around summer tires given the limited skiing I still have planned for the season

Step 1 should be to get that online Tesla appraisal rolling and scheduling a time at CarMax. If both of those super low then this can all be aborted.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
A potential plan given the actual announcement: https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-tesla-stores-and-pricing?utm_cam

Although this could well backfire on me if they drop prices again later in the year in yet another capricious move, this invites the question of whether I should move quicker than planned on my 3 LR AWD -> 3 Performance idea.

Relevant factoids:

- DCU is still offering 3.99%, which is equal to my current rate
- I apparently can get a Tesla trade-in appraisal online at any time and have time later this week to get CarMax's appraisal, too
- if any available could potentially angle for an ex-demo vehicle for an additional discount
- don't have enough going on in my life at the moment, apparently
- I can work around summer tires given the limited skiing I still have planned for the season

Step 1 should be to get that online Tesla appraisal rolling and scheduling a time at CarMax. If both of those super low then this can all be aborted.